If you are a postdoctoral researcher applying for external funding, please get in touch with the Pre-Award group (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We can help you navigate the application process, and make sure that the appropriate institutional support is there when you need it!
- A final copy of your application and a signed Project Approval Form (PAF) will be required before your application can be submitted.
- The Pre-Award group will prepare the Project Approval Form on your behalf, and you will collect signatures.
- The PAF will require the signatures of yourself, your advisor/sponsor and the department chair (or their representative). Please plan ahead.
- If you are applying for an NIH NRSA F32 fellowship, the Office of Research Administration offers review sessions several times a year to familiarize postdoctoral researchers with the process.
NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards (NRSA) Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship (Parent F32)
NIH Deadlines: December 8, April 8, August 8, annually
Internal Deadlines: The first internal deadline is typically 3 weeks before the NIH deadline, the final internal deadline is 1 week (5 business days) before the final deadline.
FY 2018 NRSA Postdoctoral Stipend Levels and allowances: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-18-175.html
NINDS has enacted changes to their F32 fellowships. For this particular institute, applications are not accepted to the Parent F32 funding opportunity. NINDS F32 applications must be submitted to the NINDS-specific FOA https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/par-16-458.html and will only be accepted from first-year postdocs.
Deadlines are different from the Parent F32 deadlines. Upcoming NINDS F32 deadlines are: October 18, 2018, February 15, 2019, June 19, 2019, and October 17, 2019.
The K01 mechanism will be used for 2nd to 4th year postdocs. Standard NIH deadlines for new K applications are Feb 12, June 12, October 12 annually
NIH BRAIN Initiative Fellows: Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship (F32)
The purpose of the BRAIN Initiative Fellows (F32) program is to enhance the research training of promising postdoctorates, early in their postdoctoral training period, who have the potential to become productive investigators in research areas that will advance the goals of the BRAIN Initiative.
Upcoming BRAIN F32 Deadlines: December 7, 2018; August 7, 2019; April 7, 2020
NSF Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
In Biology (PRFB): http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=503622
NSF Deadlines: First Tuesday in November (BIO), and various
Fellowships previously obtained by one or more Brandeis PhDs or Brandeis postdocs:
- Jane Coffin Childs Fellowship - http://www.jccfund.org/fellowship-information
- Life Sciences Research Foundation - http://www.lsrf.org
- Charles A. King Trust Postdoctoral Fellowship - https://hria.org/tmf/king/
- Helen Hay Whitney Foundation - http://hhwf.org/research-fellowship/
- EMBO Fellowship - http://www.embo.org/funding-awards/fellowships
- NARSAD Young Investigators Award (for advanced postdocs) - https://bbrfoundation.org/yi
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Fellowship - https://www.lls.org/research/career-development-program
- Damon Runyon Postdoctoral Fellowship - http://www.damonrunyon.org/for_scientists/categories/category/awards/
- Cancer Research Institute (CRI) Irvington Postdoctoral Fellowship - http://www.cancerresearch.org/grants-programs/grants-fellowships/cri-irvington-postdoctoral-fellowships
- Human Frontier Science Program Postdoctoral Fellowship - http://www.hfsp.org/funding/postdoctoral-fellowships
- American Cancer Society Fellowship - http://www.cancer.org/research/applyforaresearchgrant/granttypes/postdoctoral-fellowships
- NSERC post-doctoral fellowship for Canadian citizens - http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PD-NP/PDF-BP_eng.asp
- Humboldt Fellowship for research in Germany - http://www.humboldt-foundation.de/web/humboldt-fellowship-postdoc.html
- PEW Latin American Scholars fellowship - http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/projects/pew-latin-american-fellows
|Title||Year Experience||Usual Due Date||Other||More information|
|Jane Coffin Childs Fellowship||< 1 year postdoc||Feb 1||http://www.jccfund.org/fellowship-information|
|Life Sciences Research Foundation||<5 years past PhD/MD||Oct 1||http://www.lsrf.org|
|Helen Hay Whitney Foundation||< 1 year postdoc, <2 years past PhD||July 1||No more than 1 applicant per lab||http://hhwf.org/research-fellowship/|
|Charles A. King Trust Postdoctoral Fellowship|
> 3 years postdoc experience but
< 5 years postdoc experience
|Sept 1||No more than 1 applicant per lab|
|EMBO Fellowship||< 2 years past PhD||Feb 12, Aug 12||to do postdoc in a country where you did not get PhD (details)||http://www.embo.org/funding-awards/fellowships|
|NARSAD Young Investigators Award (for advanced postdocs)||advanced post-doctoral fellows, instructors and assistant professors||Feb 24||https://bbrfoundation.org/yi|
|Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Fellowship||< 2 years postdoc experience||other programs for more senior postdocs & investigators||https://www.lls.org/research/career-development-program|
|Damon Runyon Postdoctoral Fellowship||< 1 year past PhD||Mar 15,|
External Resources to search for more funding opportunities:
- http://www.rockefeller.edu/sr-pd/index.php?page=PostdocPrograms (breaks it down between opportunities for US citizens / non-citizens / everyone)
- https://research.jhu.edu/rdt/funding-opportunities/postdoctoral/ -
Johns Hopkins downloadable Excel list of postdoc funding opportunities (NEW!!)