Text editing can be done by using the Text Editing Toolbar (also called the "Atto Editor") available within areas such as forum posts, labels and assignment descriptions. Many of the icons and functions are similar to those within word processors but there are some extra features that can be useful for editing text.
Additionally, the record audio and video features with the LATTE upgrade to 3.5 can be found in the Toolbar.
Basic toolbar view:
- Reveal additional editing options
- Change the size of the text
- Bulleted List
- Numbered List
- Edit Link
- Remove Link
- Add Image
- Add Media (from repositories such as YouTube, Google Drive or Box)
- File Manager
- Record audio
- Record video
Expanded toolbar view:
When clicking on the first icon on the top-left, you can expand the text editing option to reveal additional features.
- Text Color
- Left Text Alignment
- Center Text Alignment
- Right Text Alignment
- Indent/Tab Left
- Indent/Tab Right
- Equation Editor
- Special Characters
- Horizontal Line
- Columns (Bootstrap Grid)
- Clear Formatting
- Accessibility Checker
- Screen Reader Helper
- Left to right type
- Right to left type
- Word Count
- HTML code
Depending on the size of your web browser page, the appearance of the toolbar may look slightly different from the images above
Many people like to compose their forum posts, labels, and other text-heavy entries in Microsoft Word or other word processing programs. Benefits to word processing programs include superior grammar and spell check functions, ability to save drafts, and no risk of dropped connection during composition. However, on many platforms, the word processor’s formatting code will be copied over and can create errors and other complications.
Word formatting code is incompatible with the LATTE formatting code.This incompatibility has been known to corrupt courses, causing sections to disappear and other unusual behavior. If you have composed your labels in Word, you may experience difficulty importing from past courses or other losses of functionality.
Solution to Remove Unwanted Formatting Code
- Type your post in the word processing program (e.g. MS Word), regularly saving your work.
- Perform spelling and grammar check.
- Open a plain text editor (e.g. WordPad or Notepad for PC and TextEdit for Mac).
- Copy the text in the word processing program and paste it into the plain text editor. The plain text editor will strip the word processor's formatting from the text.
- Copy the text from the plain text editor and paste it into the LATTE window.
- Apply any text formatting (font color, bold, italics, etc.) in the LATTE window.