SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences), is a data management and analysis product produced by SPSS, Inc. (now IBM), featuring modules for statistical data analysis, including descriptive statistics such as plots, frequencies, charts, and lists, as well as sophisticated inferential and multivariate statistical procedures like analysis of variance (ANOVA), factor analysis, cluster analysis, and categorical data analysis.
Brandeis students, faculty, and staff can download SPSS 23 or 24 from ITS' online software portal. Note: Version 24 is available to students, faculty, and staff, while version 23 is available only to faculty and staff. SPSS may only be used for non-commercial, academic use.
A limited number of licenses are available for students. These are distributed on a first-come-first-served basis.
How to Install SPSS
- Visit ITS' online software store at brandeis.onthehub.com
- Click "Start Shopping" and select "IBM SPSS" on the next screen.
- Add SPSS to your cart and check out.
- Once you've checked out of the online store, you should be able to download and install SPSS by following on-screen prompts.
- If you are installing SPSS on Windows, download and install the version that matches your 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.
- After installation has completed, you will be asked to enter a license code. This code can be found by going into the online store, clicking "Your Account/Orders," and selecting your download of SPSS from your Order History. The activation code should appear in red on the Order Summary page; it can simply be copied and pasted into the SPSS licensing window.
- If you need assistance, please contact the ITS Technology Help Desk.
To Update License Expiring on July 31, 2017
Faculty and staff with SPSS 23 will see an updated license in their Order History; faculty and staff with SPSS 24 will need to order SPSS again (no need to redownload it) in order to see the updated license code.
- Students who already have version 24 will need to order a new copy, and then run the license wizard and enter the new key. IBM has instructions: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21968434
Note Regarding Installing on OS X
Version 24 is only supported on OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and OS X 10.12 (Sierra).
Version 23 is only supported on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).
SPSS Base, Advanced Models, Regression Models, Tables, Trends, Categories
|SPSS Base, Advanced Models, Regression Models, Tables, Trends, Categories|
Workshops and Consultations
Library Services' Grad Student Workshops
Library Services offers hour-long SPSS workshops each semester. Check this page for sign-ups and the schedule: http://lts.brandeis.edu/courses/instruction/index.html
- One-on-one consultations
Library Services' Margarita Corral, PhD, offers data analysis software support. Contact her to schedule an appointment on how to use SPSS at firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the Local User Group and Mailing List
Questions about the use of SPSS should be directed to the Brandeis SPSS User Group. If you would like to join the local Brandeis SPSS User Group, email user group coordinator Graham Wright at email@example.com.
Ask to join the Brandeis-Boston SPSS User Group mailing list:
- Click on the following link: https://lists.brandeis.edu/wws/subrequest/spss-users
- Brandeis community members: enter your Brandeis username in the email address field, hit submit, and enter your Brandeis password in the subsequent password field.
- Off campus users: enter your email address in the email address field and hit submit.
- Your request to join will be forwarded to the SPSS User Group coordinator and an email will be sent to you when you are added to the list.
Links to online information
- SPSS software and solutions: http://www.spss.com/downloads/papers.cfm?ProductID=00035
- SPSS support: http://www.spss.com/TechSupport
Find Technology eBooks
- ITPro - Provides full-text access to over 4,000 ebooks on over 100 different technology topics
- Safari Tech Books Online - Provides full-text access to hundreds of ebooks on information technology and software programming published by O'Reilly, Sams, Que, and others
- Search OneSearch using the keyword "spss"
Other Questions about SPSS
Please direct other questions about SPSS at Brandeis University, including comments about the information on this page, to user group coordinator Graham Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who need SPSS 24
We do not have offer SPPS 24 for students, but we've added a fix from IBM that should allow SPSS 25 to run the Bootstrapping function, which is available to download via brandeis.onthehub.com. To get this, you'll need to do the following:
1. Go to brandeis.onthehub.com and sign in with your Brandeis credentials.
2. If you've never obtained SPSS 25, select to order it and click through to the download
3. Go to My Orders in the top right corner
4. Select to view details for the order for SPSS
5. If you haven't installed SPSS 25 before downloading the program and install it.
6. Once SPSS 25 is installed, click to download the SPSS 25 fix pack and install it.
Once you've done this, you should be able to run the Bootstrapping function in SPSS 25 as you would in 24.