Before you arrive, you should:
Open a Brandeis email account
You'll need a Brandeis email account to register for classes and set up your computer when you arrive. Sign up at http://identity.brandeis.edu. Your new Brandeis email address will be active within 24 hours of signing up.
If you are not receiving emails to your Brandeis Gmail:
- By default, emails are automatically forwarded to the email you applied to Brandeis with. If you would like to change the settings, look here.
Pack a few key items to save headaches later:
- All the CD's that came with your computer, especially the operating system disks.
- An external hard drive for backing up your data. Check out our backup recommendations.
- A 25-foot COAX cable to connect to the Cable TV system if you're bringing a TV. Make sure it is a cable-ready TV, too.
- A USB printer cable (if you purchase a personal printer). Public printing is also available in the library for a fee. Brandeis does not support wireless printing for personal printers.
If you buy a computer, we suggest a laptop -- either Dell or Apple
Residence halls are networked with fast wireless access, and the wireless network covers campus, so buy a laptop if your budget allows. (Desktops are also OK, but make sure to get an ABGN wireless card, available online or at the Brandeis Bookstore.) You can buy either a Mac or a PC -- if you prefer PC, we like Dell. Shop through Brandeis's Dell and Apple portal to get free warranty repairs at the Brandeis computer repair shop.