Level up! is a customizable block which an instructor can add to a course to give experience points to students as they progress through a course. It displays their current level and progress towards the next level. Level Up! adds an element of gamification to a course.
How to add Level Up! to your LATTE page:
- Log into Latte and select your course.
- With the editing turned on, select Level up! from the 'Add block' menu.
- Access the block on the course page and click the configuration icon.
- Give the block a title and description and save it again.
- Click the links in the block to access different areas:
- Information - shows how many XP (experience points) are required for each level. You can change this from the Levels tab.
- Ladder - shows the students in order of levels and experience points
- Report - allows for filtering the students, levels and experience point and allows for manual editing of students' experience points via their progress bar.
- Settings -allows various options to be turned on or off and offers settings for preventing possible cheating.
How are experience points calculated?
This block listens to events triggered in Moodle and captures some according to pre-defined rules. It then attributes experience points based on the information contained in the event.
Only the users with the capability block/xp:earnxp can earn experience points. This capability is given by default to students. Also actions triggered by guests, non-logged in users or administrators are ignored.
The following events are always ignored:
- Events from another context than course or module
- Events having another educational level than participating
- Events flagged as anonymous, e.g. in an anonymous Feedback
The rest is up to you. By default the plugin comes with a minimal set of rules to attribute experience points to actions, and to ignore some redundant ones. Visit the Rules page in the plugin itself to view or override them.
Note: Repeated actions within a short time interval are ignored to prevent cheating.
Specifying the experience points
- Once the block is added, if you don't do anything, by default, certain course actions will count towards experience points. You can change this.
- From the Rules tab, click Add rule and then decide how many XP points and if you want all or any of the conditions to apply:
- Click Add a condition and then choose from the options available:
- Examples might be:
- Activity or resource - a particular activity or resource must be completed
- Specific event- an assignment has been submitted, a quiz completed or a workshop submission uploaded
- Event property - A certain event takes place, such as subscribing to a forum
- Set of conditions - similar to a restriction set in Restrict access a set of conditions must be achieved.
How does it work?
- As students progress throughout the course and take part in activites, they gain more XP and these XP relate to a set of levels.
- The teacher can decide the number of points to levels in the Levels tab and students can view this from the Information link.
- Students can see their progress by clicking the Ladder link:
- They can view their level and progress in the block itself, and when they move up a level, they are notified (if enabled by the teacher from the Settings tab.)
You can match Completion Tracking to the Level Up! rules so students see instant feedback! Contact the LATTE team to find out more.