Zoom is Brandeis University's preferred web conferencing platform. Zoom allows you to hold simple online meetings or host a fully immersive and interactive, synchronous online learning environment with up to 50 participants. Zoom offers a high-quality and easy-to-use video, audio, and wireless screen-sharing experience across Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Blackberry, Linux, Zoom Rooms, and H.323/SIP room systems.
Getting Started: User Guide
- Download the Getting Started with PC and Mac Guide
- Watch the Getting Started Videos
- Join our Weekly Zoom Meetings and Webinar training
- Join a test meeting
Obtaining an account:
Zoom host accounts are available at no cost to all Brandeis Faculty/Staff/Students (anyone with an @brandeis.edu email address).
To obtain a host account, simply visit https://brandeis.zoom.us and click on "sign in". You will then be prompted to login from the main Brandeis unet login page. If you do not already have an account, the system will automatically provision an account for you.
Downloading the Zoom app
Zoom is an application that must be installed on your computer or mobile device in order to host or participate in a meeting.
Once you have logged in to your account, click on "Host a Meeting". The desktop app will then auto-download. Alternatively, you can click on the download footer link at https://zoom.us or directly from https://zoom.us/support/download
- For iOS, visit the Apple App Store and search "zoom"
- For Android, visit Google Play and search "zoom"
After you launch the app, you have two options. You can select "Join a Meeting" or "Sign In." If you just want to join a meeting-in-progress click on "Join a meeting." If you would like to log in and start or schedule your own meeting, click on "Sign In."
- Click on Start without video to start a meeting sharing your "desktop" or "application"
- Click on Start with video to start a video meeting
- Click on Schedule to set up a a future meeting
- Click on Join to join a meeting that has already been started
Note: Click on the dropdown to view your profile, check for updates, switch accounts and logout.
- Start: Selecting start will start the pre-scheduled meeting that you have listed in your upcoming meetings.
- Edit: You can edit or update your scheduled meeting.
- Delete: Selecting delete will permanently delete your scheduled meeting.
- Copy: Here you can copy your scheduled meeting(s) invitation text and manually paste into an email, IM, SMS etc.
You can find the Settings tab in the main dialog box or in the meeting menu bar. After clicking Settings, you will have the following options:
- General: You can select default preferences
- Audio: You can test, select and adjust your speakers, and microphone
- Video: You can test and select your video camera
- Feedback: We welcome any questions, comments, or feedback
- Recording: Here you can browse/open your stored recordings (all recordings are stored on your local device/computer)
- Account/Pro account: Here you can upgrade your account to PRO and manage your account details (learn more)
Once you have started or joined a meeting, you can perform the following actions from the menu bar located at the bottom of the meeting window (move your mouse to toggle):
- Invite more people to join by email, IM, SMS (mobile users) or meeting ID (learn more)
- Screen share your desktop or specific application window (learn more)
- Group or private chat (learn more)
- Record your meeting (learn more)
- Manage participants (learn More)
- Mute and unmute your audio
- Select audio options (learn more)
- Stop and start your video
- Configure your settings (learn more)
- Leave or end the meeting